Church History


CHURCH HISTORY
 
 
On December 18, 1938, a visionary group of eighteen met in a one room stucco building on Cavalcade Street in Kashmere Gardens,for the organization of the FRIENDSHIP MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH. Bro. W.R. Durnell became the first pastor. In 1941, a property was purchased at Sakowitz and Douglas Street, and a building was erected.

God blessed with growth and in 1950 the congregation moved to new property at Cavalcade and Kreso Street where the name changed to CAVALCADE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH.
 
In 1956, the congregation began construction of new facilities at Foy Lane and Kowis Street, while meeting in Scarborough Elementary School. On September 15, 1957, the new sanctuary was dedicated with another name change to FOY LANE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH.
 
On November 16, 1969 a new sanctuary was dedicated and the old sanctuary was converted into the Fellowship Hall. Growth continued, and in February of 1975 a new Educational building was dedicated.
 
In 1978, the beginning of a Hispanic congregation in Houston was discussed by brethren Leoncio Gutierrez and Paul Robinson. Bro. Gutierrez began by inviting friends and neighbors to his apartment for a Bible study. In 1979, upon returning to Houston from an evangelistic tour of Central America and Mexico, Bro. Robinson began to work with Bro. Gutierrez in establishing a strong Hispanic work. From the very beginning our plan was to operate as a CELL CHURCH. Our outreach involved groups meeting in homes to study the Bible. These groups were called Action Centers and were led by church members who opened their homes for the gatherings.
 
In 1979, the Foy Lane Missionary Baptist Church provided facilities for the Hispanic Mission. As our plan for growth involved CENTERS where CHRIST was presented as LIFE, we felt led to chose the name, CENTER OF LIFE. The Hispanic congregation grew and later on moved to facilities in the Heights that were provided by the Baptist Missionary Association of Harris County. While there, the CENTER OF LIFE BIBLE INSTITUTE was initiated.
 
In 1989, the FOY LANE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH and the Hispanic Mission, CENTRO DE VIDA, voted in separate business conferences to become the CENTER OF LIFE/CENTRO DE VIDA, one church, working and worshipping in duplicate services. We ministered to others through the Hospitality House, MAM (Maternal Assistance Ministry), Kid's Club, Action Centers, etc. As a result of this vote the Hispanic mission returned home to the mother church and became one with her. CORPUS UNUM.
 
In 1999 the church purchased 37 acres located on Lauder Road, just west of the Lauder and John F. Kennedy Boulevard Intersection. Shortly thereafter, as the cost of land preparation and building was so expensive, we decided to purchase the buildings and property located at 11250 Bentley. We moved into those facilities in September, 2000
 

HISTORIA DE LA IGLESIA

 

 

En 1978, los hermanos Leoncio Gutiérrez y Paul Robinson juntos hablaron de comenzar una obra hispana en Houston, Texas. El hermano Leoncio Gutiérrez comenzó a invitar a sus amigos y vecinos a su apartamento para tener estudios bíblicos. En 1979, después de regresar de un viaje Evangelistico por todo Centro América y México, el hermano Paul Robinson comenzó a trabajar con el hermano Leoncio buscando establecer una obra fuerte de hispanos. Desde el comienzo los planes eran de operar como una IGLESIA CELULAR. Los planes fueron de tener grupos que se reunieran en casas en las cuales pudieran tener estudios bíblicos. Estos grupos serian llamados Centros De Acción y serian dirigidos por miembros de la iglesia.

 

En 1979, la Iglesia Bautista Misionera Foy Lane proveyó un lugar para la Misión Hispana. Nuestros planes para crecimiento eran de tener Centros en las cuales Cristo seria la Vida. La congregación Hispana creció y luego se movió a otro local en la zona de los Hights. Este local fue proveído por la Asociación Bautista Misionera del Condado de Harris. Durante este tiempo fue iniciado el Instituto Bíblico Centro De Vida.

 

En 1989, la Iglesia Bautista Misionera Foy Lane y la Misión Hispana Centro De Vida, hicieron voto en diferentes conferencias que los dos congregaciones viniesen a ser una sola iglesia, CENTER OF LIFE/CENTRO DE VIDA. Para ese tiempo ya tenían varios ministerios como: Casa Hospitalaria, MAM (Ministerio De Asistencia Maternal), Club Infantil, Centros De Acción, etc. Como resultado del voto la congregación hispana regreso a Foy Lane para ser una sola iglesia (CORPUS UNUM).

 

En 1999 la iglesia compro un terreno de 37 acres localizado al oeste de Lauder Rd. y John F. Kennedy Blvd. Un poco después al ver que el costo de una nueva construcción seria muy costoso se decidió comprar un local que ya tenía edificios. Este lugar esta localizado en 11250 Bentley Street, Houston, Texas. En el mes de Septiembre del año 2000 nos movimos al nuevo local.